8oz dried chickpeas
½ tbsp cooking oil
1 medium onion, sliced
6 large garlic cloves, minced
2 wiri wiri peppers or 1 small scotch bonnet
1 ½ tsp roasted ground jeera (cumin)
½ tsp paprika
¼ tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt (adjust to your taste)
3 stems scallions, finely sliced
- Bring a medium pot of water up to a boil. Add soaked chickpeas. Boil until soft about 30-40 minutes. Alternatively, use an instant pot or pressure cooker to cook soaked peas for about 15 minutes. After peas are cooked until tender, drain and set aside.
- On medium-high heat, add oil to the skillet. Add onions, garlic, and pepper. Fry 2-3 minutes until tender.
- Add chickpeas and fry for a few additional minutes.
- Add jeera, paprika, black pepper, salt, and scallions. Fry a few more minutes.
- Adjust seasonings to your taste.